Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Recipe
Cooking chicken and rice in a slow cooker is a great way to make a delicious and nutritious meal with minimal effort. Slow cooker chicken and rice is a classic comfort food that is easy to make and can be customized to suit your tastes. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken or to make a meal for a crowd.
– 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
– 2 cups long grain white rice
– 4 cups chicken broth
– 1 onion, diced
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
– 1 teaspoon dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon paprika
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. Add the rice, chicken broth, onion, garlic, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
3. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
4. When the chicken and rice are cooked through, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks.
5. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
6. Serve the chicken and rice with your favorite sides.
Tips and Variations
– For a creamier dish, add 1 cup of heavy cream or coconut milk to the slow cooker before cooking.
– For a spicier dish, add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
– For a heartier dish, add 1 cup of frozen peas or diced carrots.
– For a vegetarian dish, substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth and omit the chicken.
Can I use brown rice instead of white rice?
Yes, you can use brown rice instead of white rice. However, you will need to adjust the cooking time as brown rice takes longer to cook.
Can I use frozen chicken breasts?
Yes, you can use frozen chicken breasts. However, you will need to adjust the cooking time as frozen chicken takes longer to cook.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this dish ahead of time. Simply prepare the ingredients and store them in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook.